(keitai-l) Re: FOMA phones hacked?

From: Arnold P. Siboro <asiboro_at_maltech.jp>
Date: 09/05/06
The news said the arrested people were accused of:
 -trademark-infringement
 -unfair competition
 -selling used merchandise without license

On Mon, 4 Sep 2006 17:39:45 +0200
"Chris Houser" <houser@kinjo-u.ac.jp> wrote:

> On 9/3/06, M. David <davidm1@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I saw on a Japanese TV news  program last week that a few guys from a phone
> > shop in Tokyo were arrested for selling hacked NTT keitais. The hacked
> > keitais allow the use of local (foreign) SIMS.
>
> Fascinating.
>
> Why is this against the law?
> Does Japan have a DMCA or something?
>
> > Anyone else hear about this?
>
> I'd sure like to buy me one of these unlocked phones! Is that a crime, too?
>
> Google finds:
>
> http://bbs.avi.jp/256883/

All such store are no longer operating, except perhaps www.tokyobikan.com,
which simply change the naming of their unlocked phone business (very
brave!)

Arnold P. Siboro (asiboro@maltech.jp)

"There are lots of examples where not the best product wins,
Windows would be one of those, but there are examples where
the best product wins. And the iPod is a great example of that."
                              -- Steve Jobs