(keitai-l) Re: unlocking SIM cards

From: <martyn_williams_at_idg.com>
Date: 09/18/06
> In Japan the unlocking of SIM cards is probably not yet a consumer right
> as in the UK, but who knows what will happen in the future.

This is an issue that is being looked at by the MIC as part of a broader
review of telecoms in Japan. Unfortunately it's nothing being looked at
with any urgency so expect in 6 months to see a Nikkei headline to the
effect "Carriers to offer unlocking from launch of 4G" or something.

I'm sure the carriers will kick and scream about it and how difficult it
is. After all, they are only going to common battery chargers, which of
course require a common plug on the phone, from 4G. There is already some
commonality on some models so I don't see why it can't be done faster.