(keitai-l) Re: Looking for web hosting provider in Japan

From: Tim Smith <tim_at_freeverse.jp>
Date: 12/21/06
This is correct. We also keep our co.jp registrants in Japan and servers
scattered about. .jp can be anywhere - for example Go Daddy can register
(by proxy) a .jp Just need an address in Japan.

As for hosting - we've done a ton of mobile and pc serving. Especially
with low latency streaming type of apps. West coast of US to Japan aint
bad. For mobile , you really need to be as close to the operator's
peering points as possible. And , well, that's in Japan if you are
serving Japanese operators. Sometimes, too the pan-pacific network gets
hosed, then you'll really want a Japan hosting location. Best is to have
several mirrored locations and do proper load-response balancing between
them.

Japan IDCs are notoriously expensive compared to their US counterparts.
Part of this is just the 'rack real estate' costs and part is just the
lack of competition and 'mystique'. If you have a JP office, then your
best bet is just to pull in a dedicated flets line and get a business
acct with USEN, IIJ or similar. Unlimited bw, several IP's and pretty
much as reliable as any datacenter.

Jus my 2yen