(keitai-l) Re: Symbian on SoftBank? Symbian dewa nai no Symbian?

From: Scott Mason <kamenr_at_dogshogun.com>
Date: 01/24/07
On 07.1.24 10:08 PM, "Greg Conquest" <conquest@spamcop.net> wrote:

> Scott Mason <kamenr@dogshogun.com> thusly expounded:
>
>> All I can say is, after all the grief my 702NK gave me over this
>> issue and with syncing, I am so glad I moved over to WM5 with the XTC
>> phone. Awesome little gadget.
>
> Of course I want to use and support the more open symbian system. The WM5 on
> the
> HTC (Softbank's x01ht) is not crippled or locked in any way, Scott?

Dunno in detail, I just got it. But it does seem to run the apps
I've tried to install thus far, and Missing Sync seems to work
pretty well for Synching up with Entourage, getting the photos off
it, etc. The XTC is indeed "locked" onto Vodafone's network and
in Japanese mode, but there are workarounds for that, as you can
just go and install a different build of the OS, say German.

> Is it fair to say that Microsoft is distributing Windows Mobile in such a way
> that if the customer knows WM5 is on the device, practically all WM5 apps are
> guaranteed to run.

There is one sense of confusion, and that is with OS nomenclature.
Although the XTC is billed as a "Smartphone," it does not necessarily
run Windows Mobile Smartphone apps; instead, it runs Pocket PC apps,
which are intended for larger screens than Smartphone.

In other words, in terms of hardware it may generically be a "smartphone"
but in terms of OS it's a Pocket PC. Took me a while to figure that
out. Duh.

> That would be a huge dilution of the "symbian" trademark, if it is the case.
> I'm
> certainly confused . . .

Yep, it's all pretty confusing...

Scott