(keitai-l) Re: symbian gossip

From: Jonas Petersson <jonas.petersson_at_xms.se>
Date: 02/14/07
Curt Sampson wrote:
> I found this bit interesting:
>
>      [Nokia's] only alternative, in practice, is to go Linux, which it is
>      of course experimenting with, but it's still not an easy path to go.
>
> Having investigated (and even mucked with) the internals of several
> OSes, I can say that Linux itself, even these days, is far from a
> beautiful piece of work. If they consider Symbian even worse (which
> isn't clear), that speaks volumes.

Having mucked with both I would have to say that Symbian appears to be
worse. At least when it comes to bloat. Killing off S80 (the new E90
Communicator is S60) seems like a good choice. The old 9110 communicator
(GEOS based) was more stable, snappier and had better cross app
communication even though the CPU was running at a fraction of the speed
of the 9300i. Linux ran pretty well even on the first iPaqs (even X) -
have not tried the latest, but I'm pretty sure it rocks these days.

		My 0.02 EUR / Jonas
--
Jonas Petersson  |  XMS Penvision  |  mailto:Jonas.Petersson@xms.se
Box 3294, Västgötegatan 13, S-600 03 Norrköping | http://www.xms.se/