(keitai-l) markup for enabling T9-style input mode?

From: Michael(tm) Smith <mike_at_w3.org>
Date: 08/01/07
Anybody aware of any browser/service support for markup that would
enable a page to specify that a user should be put into
predictive-text mode (or quick-input or rapid-input mode or
whatever the common terms might be) when typing text in a certain
input box or textarea in a form on a page?

What I mean is the kind of predictive-text entry that T9 and
similar mechanisms provide. And by "markup" I mean an enumerated
value on the XHTML inputmode attribute or WML format attribute or
similar service-specific markup such as istyle in CHTML.

I realize the default input mode for typing stuff in Web forms is
something probably better left up to the user to configure in the
preferences for their device, but I can imagine cases where a page
author might want to provide a hint that a particular input field
is an appropriate one for a predictive-text input while another
input field might not be.

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith