(keitai-l) getting back up to speed

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 10/17/07
Hi

I am just getting back into coding a site for keitai after a while
doing other things.

I am no longer very up to speed on what assumptions I can make about
phones handling of encodings, doctypes, etc.

I need the site to be maximally readable by as many clients as
possible, both Japanese and foreign, with the minimum of fuss, for
very, very simple pages.

For a simple site  is there a generic, safe doctype and encoding that
everything can read (for kanji).

Does everything understand utf8 now, or are docomo phones still sjis?

Do most handsets now support cookies?

One google site I saw has this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//WAPFORUM//DTD XHTML Mobile 1.0//EN" "http://
www.wapforum.org/DTD/xhtml-mobile10.dtd">
equiv="Content-Type" content="application/xhtml+xml; charset=UTF-8"/>

Is this likely to be readable by a docomo handset (I just have a
softbank nokia to hand, which isn't terribly useful for testing
compatability with JP phones...)

I am not worried about emoji - I know all that.

Thanks

Nick