(keitai-l) Re: SIM cards in Japan 2008

From: Andrew Shuttleworth <andrew_at_cvp.jp>
Date: 02/13/08
Is there not supposed to be some regulation coming into place from 2011 that forces carriers to sell unlocked phones?

Was it my imagination or was the deadline for number portability slipped a number of times? If so there is no reason why the same thing won't happen again.

Andrew

$B:9=P?M(B: Nik Frengle <nfrengle@gmail.com>
$BAw?.F|;~(B: 2008$BG/(B2$B7n(B12$BF|(B $B2PMKF|(B 17:52
$B08_at_h(B: keitai-l@appelsiini.net
$B7oL>(B: (keitai-l) Re: SIM cards in Japan 2008

Greg,
Sure, that is something that I can pretty confidently answer: They won't
unlock phones because they don't have to. The only reason carriers in any
market unlock phones is because they are forced to by regulation. There is
no such regulation in Japan, and so they don't do it.