(keitai-l) Re: Docomo unlimited data settings (was SIM cards in Japan 2008)

From: Nik Frengle <nfrengle_at_gmail.com>
Date: 02/17/08
Thanks for that Pierre. Looking at the article, it looks like e-Mobile are
definitely the way to go: Best pricing, speed competitive or better than
DoCoMo's (don't even talk about KDDI's, which was really low in this test),
and a very good modem (I have the same one, made by Huawei, and using it in
the UK, and the really good thing about it is that it is plug n play, and
the client is installed and started when you plug it in.) And probably
unlike the DoCoMo one (though I don't know), the e-Mobile modem is also
GSM/GPRS/Edge compatible.
Of course, in Japan e-Mobile is not really an option if you are outside of
Kanto or Kansai, and I don't know whether having all of the other radios is
useful or not, since they would have to have roaming agreements in the
countries you were going to. There is a whole seperate discussion there, but
if they WANTED to have roaming agreements, it is dead simple, since there
are roaming agreement aggregators, and if you sign a contract with them you
get access to all of the roaming agreements under their control. This
doesn't give the carrier the sort of control that Japanese carriers insist
on in most aspects of their business, which is why Vodafone Japan, now
Softbank, negotiated each roaming agreement individually, as did DoCoMo. I
am not sure about KDDI, but roaming with them is slightly limited anyway.
This tight control is something that has it's pluses and minuses, but for a
small carrier starting out, it seems like the ability to instantly offer
international roaming to compete with the big boys would be worth some loss
of control. The Huawei modem can, by the way, be unlocked. (
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696311).