(keitai-l) Re: J-Phone and DDI business models

From: Andrea Hoffmann <ah_at_anima.de>
Date: 06/25/00
Hi,

> Now, as I understand it, each offers content within their own Intranet.

hmh, yes and no. docomo has official imode content/service
partners and their content is inside the "imode intranet"
(and yes, most of the time you can't access that content from
outside, e.g. with your desktop web browser).

all official content/service imode partners appear on the
imode cell phone menu and they can use the imode billing system.

but besides these official sites, there are *thousands* of
unofficial imode sites which are not partners of docomo and
don't appear in the phone menu (and are not located in the
intranet).

basically everybody can develop imode services and publish
them on any webserver in the world without letting docomo
know. if the imode user knows the URL, they can access the
service from their phone and use it the same way they use
the official sites. although these sites cannot use the billing
system of docomo, there are already thirdparty solutions out
there which allow these unofficial imode sites to bill their
users as well.

One example of an unofficial i-mode site is Machiawase.com, an
event and party planning tool. you can find the desktop version
here: http://www.machiawase.com/, the imode version here:
http://www.machiawase.com/i/ and the cdmaone version here:
http://www.machiawase.com/hdml/.

for cdmaone and j-skyweb its basically the same. You can
develop content and publish it on any webserver which can
be accessed by their users without being part of their
intranet or sign a contact with them etc... and for cdmaone,
if you want to be part of their cell phone menu, all you
have to do is to pay a monthly fee.

> at least I-Mode offers a gateway out to the rest of the
> Internet as well.

All of them "claim" to offer an gateway to the Internet (meaning
that you have an menu on the phone where you can input any URL).

What you can really see on your phone then depends on the
service (i-mode, cdmaone, j-phone) and on the functionality
of the built in microbrowser.

but generally speaken: you can see cHtml and (limited) also
Html pages from the Internet with your imode phone, hdml and
(limited) wml pages with your cdmaone phone and mml pages
with your j-phone.

CU,
Andrea
--
Andrea Anima Hoffmann  ***  Mobile phone: 090-8047-9236
WestCyber Mobile Japan -- http://anima.editthispage.com