(keitai-l) Re: ZDNet Australia: Equip: Is WAP crap?

From: <kwilliams_at_idcjapan.co.jp>
Date: 06/30/00
WAP is not a failure in Japan, but I don't think people went the IDO, DDI, Tuka
route for the WAP functionality, Very few keitai users understand the difference
among all the phones.  There are some people (2.5 million) that just dislike NTT
DoCoMo and everything they stand for.

Kevin

Brent Bossom <bbossom@pg7.so-net.ne.jp> 2000/06/30 09:43:45

keitai-l@appelsiini.net$B$KJV?.$7$F$/$@$5$$(B

$BAw?.so-net.ne.jp>

$B08_at_h(B: keitai-l@appelsiini.net
cc:    (bcc: Kevin Williams/Japan/APAC/IDC)
$B7oL>(B: (keitai-l) Re: ZDNet Australia: Equip: Is WAP crap?

> Agreed. As has been discussed before, I-Mode's success and WAP's "failure"
> have more to do with faulty business models and poor execution than bad
> technology.

I really don't think you can call WAP in Japan a failure. 2-1/2 million
subscribers, in just over a year, in the face of the NTT Docomo juggernaut
and the Norika boom over on J, is pretty impressive. And all of those
subscribers have signed on for a new, untried service (CDMAOne), not just a
new feature on the old PDC platform.  Of course the numbers pale in
comparison to the NTT numbers, but they are an extreme case.

> And I hate my WAP phone (cdmaOne IDO by Toshiba, but at least it's clear
> pink!)

Should've got the Sony...

Brent

Brent Bossom