(keitai-l) Re: New member/i-mode stumbles?

From: Peter Roxburgh <peter.roxburgh_at_securetrading.com>
Date: 08/14/00
Susan

Europe is perched on the edge of packet networks; we may then see an
explosion of I-mode type services. There is nothing stopping operators using
the same billing models and 'content-alliances' as NTT - other then shear
greed. Most European operators have tried to keep control (and the revenue
streams) with WAP; the I-mode model would require a massive paradigm shift.

Could you please explain how WAP plays into this? If what's important about
i-mode is the business model
(and I agree), isn't it the same for the European carriers? Or does WAP
somehow
allow them to limit users' access to
sites? My apologies if this is a ridiculously uninformed question.

European carriers have the same options available to them as any other
operator. Yes, the important thing about i-mode is the business model. And
yes, the European operators could have adopted this model with WAP, but they
choose not to.

Limiting user's access if fairly simple with WAP. You can block your site to
any user that has not come through your WAP gateway (or any other choosen
gateway). However, by 'keeping control' operators do not have to block users
visiting other sites.

Peter Roxburgh
Mobile Solutions Developer
peter.roxburgh@securetrading.com