(keitai-l) Re: New member/i-mode stumbles?

From: <jason.c.freedman_at_ac.com>
Date: 08/16/00
Ok,  I certainly consider myself converted on most points.

Also, please don't misunderstand - I am not a WAP advocate or an iMode
detractor, I just realized that it may have sounded like that in my
original post.  I just think that both the success of iMode and the current
issues with WAP have nothing to do with the technology or necessarily the
content creation process (although today, for this market, it is a no
brainer who has the most compelling content).  Also,  I really think it
won't matter in 6 months when NTT uses WAP and WAP includes cHTML, but this
is just conjecture based on the fact that NTT wants to be a global player.

My only real disagreement with Ren is that I still don't agree that iMode
is an open standard or that WAP is closed.  It seems to me that DoCoMo
simply uses its HUGE leverage to force some tags to be supported and others
not to be (the Microsoft solution to open standards).  Also, we still don't
know what java classes they will support, etc.  WAP's languages use http
and a subset of xml and are completely open in the sense that the standard
is published and is free to use.  What makes that less of a standard or
less open?  W3C is just a standards organization as well, no?  If the
argument is that network operators need a WAP gateway product to run WAP,
well no one else can operate an iMode gateway other than NTT - at least you
can buy a WAP solution.  Also consider that JPhone could not use cHTML just
a similar system - actually I probably shouldn't say this I don't really
know the history of why Jphone used MML and who provides their gateways,
etc..

Comparing iMode to WAP is a bit like comparing AOL to HTTP.  iMode is not a
technology, it is a service.  I certainly agree with almost all of your
points about WAP operators not getting it, I just don't think it's the
technology which stops them (i.e. WAP has SSL, a scripting language,
support for animation, color (although I don't think this is part of the
spec?)).  I think it's plain old stupidity, and maybe a different market
preventing WAP operators from success.  If I were a WAP operator I would
make everything as easy to use as possible (one button access?), provide a
subscription based service, micropayments schemes for 3rd parties, etc.

I would never just be a gateway.  The great "marketing" decision of NTT is
that they did not think like typical network operators, i.e.: provide the
wires (so to speak) and they will come.  They provided a service.  This is
a great, great lesson for network providers everywhere (especially since
the network will become a commodity and not a source of revenue growth in
the future).

Overall, I guess we are in violent agreement, so to speak.  Maybe for
different reasons, but there you go.

jason

keitai-l-bounce@appelsiini.net
08/15/2000 06:49 PM ZE9