(keitai-l) Re: GSM service

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 09/08/00
Phillip Taylor wrote:

> Who are the providers and do they have agreements with other players from
> outside Japan allowing one to use our GSM phones while in Japan?

If you take a GSM cell phone into Japan it is dead - no connection.
If you take a Japanese DoCoMo, JPhone, PHS or any other handset
working in Japan outside of Japan it is also dead - no connection.
The wireless systems inside and outside Japan are totally incompatible
at this point in time and for the forseeable future (i.e. next year etc).

There are some ways though of roaming and using your GSM number in Japan or
using your Japanese number in GSM countries by renting handsets or making
other arrangements. All carry very high per minute and other charges and need
some filling in forms, prior notice, reservations etc. Some airlines have
also arrangements to assist you with this.

Gerhard Fasol
Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
http://www.eurotechnology.com/
fasol@eurotechnology.com