(keitai-l) Re: New wireless whitepaper

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_msdw.com>
Date: 09/26/00
Juergen Specht wrote:

> Zimran,
> Zimran Ahmed wrote:
> > I thought the group would be interested in our new free white paper on
> > wireless customer experience.
> this is a really good paper and a lot of people will not love to hear
> your arguments, but I found 2 things:
>
> > Q:Does it make sense to run Java on a wireless device?
> > A:No.Software written in Java is compiled when the program
> > runs,which means that the customer must wait extra time
> > for the software to start running.
>
> Don't mix your webbrowser experience here with mobile phone
> experience. There is one new I-Mode phone on the market
> (Panasonic P209i) which runs completly in Java (means internal
> everything is programmed in Java, but not with the new 'open'
> specifications) and there are NO startup times. Actually if
> you don't know about the Java inside, you will never see a
> difference between this phone and others. The 'boot time' (the
> moment a phone needs to initialize after switching on) is
> used to show a fancy animation (japanese people and I love
> this) but after that there is NO delay. I assume this will
> be the same with the new phones, so be careful with this argument.

There's an even bigger issue: DoCoMo's implementation of java on the 503
handsets is NOT applets; that is the java doesn't run in the browser. It's
midlets, and the run on the handset, not the browser.

r e n

--
ascii: r e n f i e l d
octal: \162 \145 \156 \146 \151 \145 \154 \144

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s
-- Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature