(keitai-l) Re: New wireless whitepaper

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_anima.de>
Date: 09/26/00
Zimran,
Zimran Ahmed wrote:
> I thought the group would be interested in our new free white paper on
> wireless customer experience.
this is a really good paper and a lot of people will not love to hear
your arguments, but I found 2 things:

> Q:Does it make sense to run Java on a wireless device?
> A:No.Software written in Java is compiled when the program
> runs,which means that the customer must wait extra time
> for the software to start running.

Don't mix your webbrowser experience here with mobile phone
experience. There is one new I-Mode phone on the market
(Panasonic P209i) which runs completly in Java (means internal
everything is programmed in Java, but not with the new 'open'
specifications) and there are NO startup times. Actually if
you don't know about the Java inside, you will never see a
difference between this phone and others. The 'boot time' (the
moment a phone needs to initialize after switching on) is
used to show a fancy animation (japanese people and I love
this) but after that there is NO delay. I assume this will
be the same with the new phones, so be careful with this argument.

The second thing is a much bigger issue...you don't have
this GREAT resource listed:

Japan Mobile Information
http://anima.editthispage.com/

If you compare the articles here with some of your listed
resources, you will see that some people in USA know how to
take advantage of the timelap USA/Japan to provide "their"
news...

Anyway, thanks for your paper!

Juergen
--
Juergen Specht - Mobile Application Design and Digital Photography
Tokyo, Japan   - I-Mode Portfolio: http://www.juergenspecht.com/i/