(keitai-l) Re: I-Mode browser standards...

From: Andrea Hoffmann <ah_at_anima.de>
Date: 09/26/00
Hi,

> I am personally completly happy with the low standard of the
> actual I-Mode browsers, because I know what I can do with them.

But what is an i-mode browser anyway? The browsers built into
i-mode handsets in Japan nowadays are not made by Docomo, they
are built by Access Co. (see: Compact NetFront Microbrowser,
http://www.access-us-inc.com/product/develop/cn.html) as far as
I know.

And what did DocoMo to the original cHTML specs -- they extended
them with their own tags already, like the picture symbols, the
access keys and the tel tag (see: Are there other special HTML tags
or attributes for i-mode? http://anima.editthispage.com/imodefaq/q13).
And most of us are happy about it because the extensions actually
make a lot of sense.

That is also not so much different from what Microsoft did with
the Explorer and -- not to forget -- how Netscape pushed the
development of HTML by extending their browser functionality
even before Microsoft entered the browser war.

> If I use new features, I can be sure that >50% of users can not
> access my pages, so I still need for some time a very conservative
> layout.

Most of the time, you don't have to use the features if you don't
want to... Use them at your own risk :)

Cheers,
Andrea
--