(keitai-l) Re: Mobile Phones Must Die?

From: Jani PATOKALLIO <jpatokal_at_iki.fi>
Date: 01/19/01
Andrew Shuttleworth wrote:
> Jani PATOKALLIO wrote:
> > A Palm VII-style i-mode device, however, would soon have me
> > running a huge phone bill.
>
> For four thousand yen/month you can currently get five hours/month data
> only dial up access using a PDA with Compact Flash slot and a P-in Comp@ct
> from DoCoMo.

Yabbut, that's dial-up, same idea as the Palm VII.  Probably nice enough
for popping your mail or something, but too expensive for lazy
surfing.  The next generation of the wearable computer prototype I'm
building right now will, however, use the P-in Comp@ct (gawd I hate that
name) for time being.

> Would love to see packet charged connection (if the packets are cheap
> enough) with 'instant connection' like i-mode instead of dial up. I don't
> think this is possible already using a PDA and a DoPa enabled phone, but
> it's not far off. The E-707 I mentioned earlier is due out this month for
> business users: http://www.casio.co.jp/English/productnews/e707.html

This, on the other hand, looks really sweet.  (Especially once some
enterprising hacker figures out how to install Linux on it.  =))
It's time to upgrade my keitai, but there are so many goodies on the
market now or Real Soon Now that picking one is a tough choice...
Java, 3G, PDA...?

Cheers,
--
Jani PATOKALLIO / jpatokal@iki.fi / +81 90 7722 3557
Sanpo Laboratory, Mechano-Informatics Dept., University of Tokyo