(keitai-l) Re: is downloading java applets more expensive than other content?

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_msdw.com>
Date: 01/20/01
rolf van widenfelt wrote:

> otherwise, someone will soon devise the "monthly bill expander" midlet
> which quietly transfers as many packets as possible while acting very innocent...
> hundreds of yen in just a matter of seconds...
> ooh that could hurt!

Unless the midlet has the magical ability to speed up the network, I don't think any
midlet, no matter how malicious, can rack up charges of hundreds of yen in a matter
of seconds, even assuming perfect throughput  of 9600bps with a charge of 1
yen/packet:

1 packet = 128 bits = 1 yen
9600/128 = 75 packets/second = 75 yen/second

But since the real charge is 0.3 yen/packet, max possible charge is less than 1/3
that, or no more than 25 yen/second.

However I do agree that a malicious agent could theoretically connect for hours on
end (say when you're sleeping) and cause some financial damage.

I am assuming (and have heard rumors of) failsafes on the handset, for example on a
folding handset the agent function only works when the phone is open, etc...we shall
have to see...

r e n