(keitai-l) Re: Vibration experiences wanted

From: <Jan.Chipchase_at_nokia.com>
Date: 01/26/01
Sean,

> I do love the 309's "kuro-denwa"
> ringer - a believable copy of those old black dial phone ringers
> of 20 yrs. or so back...

When it rang did it shake like the original dial phone too?

If a phone has sensors to understand its immediate environment:
- senses bag environment and beeps instead of vibrates
- senses trouser pocket, vibrates hard?
- senses shirt pocket, vibrates softly?

I wonder whether it is possible, practical, desireable to try and sense the
phone's environment and respond 'intelligently'?

Another question - do men and women have different attitudes to vibration?
(so far all responses to my original question have been from men).

> Though not specifically cellphone related, MIT's work in wearable
> computing devices got me thinking:
> http://www.ideo.com/MIT/index.html ;  a vibrator similar to above,
> attached to a watchband/ring/ear clip... ?  Probably a few years
> off yet - Ren - I recall you talking about wearable devices
> several months back...  ...and didn't NTT demo a wrist phone where
> you stuck your thumb in your ear and sound waves traveled
> through... ah, but we're getting off base here : )

NTT's Whisper phone concept. Just about on topic, given that it does use
vibration :)

Jan