(keitai-l) Re: Vibration experiences wanted

From: Jani PATOKALLIO <jpatokal_at_iki.fi>
Date: 01/26/01
"J. Sean Bennett" wrote:
> Sorry ladies - just my general observations but, ...men generally
> have the shirt pocket option, more so then women I'd say;  women
> often carry their phones in their purse/handbag;  ...if these two
> points hold, then is the 'vib' setting generally less useful for
> women??

Well, just to add a data point, a female acquaintance of mine
(an engineer at Nokia Japan) used to carry her phone in the back pocket
of her jeans.  She said that thanks to the vibration, she loved getting
calls; not answering them, mind you, just getting them...

Incidentally, there was an interesting bug in a version of the
Nokia PDC firmware that caused the vibrator to turn on automatically
whenever the phone was placed in the charger.  The vibration
would usually cause it to jump out the cradle and rattle
spastically on the table before clattering onto the floor.
Tons of fun!  Alas, this particular bug was quashed in the lab
and never made its way into any phones on sale.  (I hope.)

Cheers,
--
Jani PATOKALLIO / jpatokal@iki.fi / +81 90 7722 3557
Sanpo Laboratory, Mechano-Informatics Dept., University of Tokyo