(keitai-l) Re: Screen captures

From: Jani PATOKALLIO <jpatokal_at_iki.fi>
Date: 02/09/01
Mika Tuupola wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Jani PATOKALLIO wrote:
> > more advanced agent checking than just peeking at User-Agent.
>
>         What agent checking do you mean? I believe Juergen had
>         a page about some alternative methdods earlier. Where
>         is it now?

Filtering by IPs, etc.  I know little about how these are
accomplished in practice, I do know that quite a few i-mode
sites will not let you in from a non-phone browser no matter
what your User-Agent: says.

Incidentally, I've always found the whole idea annoying.
If you want to have an i-mode site and a Web site at the
same URL it may still be excusable, but if somebody *wants*
to read (free) i-mode pages from Netscape, what's the point
in going out of your way to stop them?

Cheers,
--
Jani PATOKALLIO / jpatokal@iki.fi / +81 90 7722 3557
Sanpo Laboratory, Mechano-Informatics Dept., University of Tokyo