(keitai-l) Phone/network differences and handset manufacturers..

From: Petri Ojala <ojala_at_iki.fi>
Date: 03/05/01
Can someone give a briefing how the i-mode/PDC and GSM networks differ from
the radio and electronics point of view?

How is the i-mode coverage, in a typical city location can you expect the
phone work in all the buildings and other areas?  (Compared to GSM)

How much electricity and space (inside the phone) does the PDC electronics
consume compared to equivalent parts in the GSM handsets?

I-Mode phones have large and colorful screens and a number of features
built-in but I find the relatively large antenna suprising.  Also one could
argue that most of the phones have been designed by engineers and not the
design people, even Ericsson looks designed in this crowd ;-)

GSM phones have smallers and less colurful screens but some manufacturers
have already managed to get rid of the visible antenna (very positive,
antenna is nowadays in my list of "No Go"'s for a mobile phone) and the
phones tend to look more designed than i-mode equivalents.  Also the GSM
phones from Japanese manufacturers, companies that also make I-mode
handsets, are nothing special to the competition.  Why isn't the technology
from I-mode handsets used for the GSM equivalents?

How much does DoCoMo control the features of I-mode handsets?  I'm just
thinking of BSkyB in the UK and the SKY Digital satellite receivers..

Petri