(keitai-l) Cheap phone for two weeks

From: Jani PATOKALLIO <jpatokal_at_iki.fi>
Date: 03/06/01
Greetings!  A friend of mine is in Tokyo for two weeks and it
would be nice to get her a mobile.  Any ideas on what would be
the cheapest phone to get for a single month?  I spent an
hour yesterday poring over Docomo, DDI and J-Phone's propaganda
but adding up all the hidden charges seems to be a fairly
daunting exercise...  it appears I would be able to get a
H" PHS for Y1 (phone) + ~Y2700 (monthly fee) + Y0 (startup charge
waived during the current campaign), is this really the cheapest
there is?  Docomo's "Prepaid" phones would be nice if the phones
themselves weren't so expensive (Y5000+).

Any hints would be much appreciated.  And yes, I will obviously
be getting the phone in my own name, as she can't buy one on
a tourist visa...

Cheers,
--
Jani PATOKALLIO / jpatokal@iki.fi / +81 90 7722 3557
Sanpo Laboratory, Mechano-Informatics Dept., University of Tokyo