(keitai-l) driving traffic to katte sites

From: Andrew Saunders <andrew_at_FLYINGCOLOR.com>
Date: 03/06/01
Steve,

>1,480 official sites...that i-menu portal is getting a bit crowded. Saw ads

>on the train last night for Hello Kitty : Your Personal Secretary, and
>Keeping Tropical Fish on Your Phone, but both required going through about
>6 or so menu layers on the i-menu (no, I wasn't tempted)

As a user I agree with you, and from a branding POV in many cases its easier
to implant a recollectable URL in a users mind than getting them to remember
the exact direction needed to locate your site in the i-menu. THis is made
easier as it seems that .co.jp/i and xxx-i.com are becoming defacto
standards for katte site URLs.

>Anyone out there heard of a HYPERLINK??? (y'know BT owns the patent ;-)
>Or links in EMAIL?
>Or search engines (Oh New!, whose figure people always quote without
credit)
>Or even those Giga-code things (is that what they're called?)
>Or even BOOKMARKS?????

Once again, email is the most effective way of driving traffic to a site,
clickable URL, whack it into your bookmark. Quite often I actually type the
URL of an imode site into my desktop PC, send it to my mobile email address,
click from there. Many sites actually enable this from their websites
nowadays. (Check out Cybird, Pia)

To be honest with you I don't find search engines very effective, but
gigacodes/URLs work well if you've got a magazine infront of you, or are on
a train with your phone in hand and poster above you. Plenty of ways to
attract users to a branded katte site, similar to offline web advertising
with the added elements of location, and being able to generate user

Danny,

for information regarding the toku suru menu, try downloading the MMJ
newsletter, available here:
http://www.mobilemediajapan.com/premium/#freeissue
there's also detailed information available on D2Communications site (in
Japanese) www.d2c.co.jp

/ANdrew