(keitai-l) Re: news- DoCoMo to open up i-mode site selections

From: Stephen Walker <stephen_at_valueclick.ne.jp>
Date: 03/06/01
On Tuesday, March 06, 2001 6:50 PM Williams, Danny wrote:

>There have been a lot of rumours bouncing around in the press that DoCoMo
>would be forced to open up its content provider partnerships to a wider
>range of players. Is this latest reported move not just a sop to please
>potential regulators?

That's the 40,000 site question. Nikkei seemed pretty sure of their facts,
so you might guess it came from the horse's mouth. But whether it will
really be a free-for-all, or still have strings attached, we'll just have
to wait and see. But this just makes the crowded portal thing worse...

But with more widespread use of the DoCoMo billing system for content
providers (and thus unique user i.d. from the gateway), it will be
interesting to see how the various revenue models are affected.

>And, Stephen, could you tell us non-Japan located types what the Toku Suru
>menu is please?

It's like a weekly updated menu of special promotional offers and giveaways.

And BTW, I do realize it is hard to research a mobile market you are not
present in. If you're reading this list you probably know a lot more than
most about what's going on.

Cheers
SW