(keitai-l) Re: driving traffic to katte sites

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 03/07/01
I wrote:
> > Is there anyone doing something similar based on just, say, phone
> > number lookups?

> > I.e., why not go with a number that already "locates" the person/
> > business/institution via a site-associated "resource", more or less
> > "universally"?

Ben Hutchings responds:

> National numbers aren't universal; a single organisation may have a
> lot of different public phone numbers; numbers aren't very memorable
> (do you try to remember the IP addresses of servers instead of their
> names?).

It wouldn't matter that national numbers are not
universal, because they are universal for most
practical purposes for most users.  One reverse-
lookup site per country is all most people would
need, most of the time.

And numbers being relatively less memorable is
beside the point; the problem we were talking
about is how to do efficient URL input/lookup
from a numeric keypad.  Nobody's talking about
memorizing numbers instead of names - they are
talking about how to get those names entered
in the first place.

> The only reason I can think of for using numbers for sites is to
> make it easier for people to enter a site address written on dead
> trees.

My address book (1.74 microdeadtrees in weight,
last I checked) has the usual 200+ phone numbers,
and - more important for the purpose - it has
dozens of meishi in a side pocket.  Most people
are carrying around something like this.  Dead
Tree technology has a long life ahead of it.

> .....an address like mobile.example.com is much shorter than
> an email or text-message, so it's hardly a great challenge to enter
> it!

Challenge, schmallenge - it takes time to enter
"mobile.example.com" alphanumerically.  (Just timed
myself - 1 minute, 15 seconds.  With more practice
I could maybe cut that in half.  But why bother?)

> To use the number you'd have to know about and bookmark the
> number-to-site form.

Yeah?  One-time-only cost, many-times-over savings.
I'd never use the number for lookup ever again.

> And if there were multiple competing
> numbering systems, you could get very confused!

Or it would be more convenient - if one system didn't work,
you could try the next.  Anyway, how confused could you
get if the site was called, say "faxtourl.com"?

To be clear: the idea is not to use numbers INSTEAD
of names, but to use numbers to look up names,
which could then be bookmarked.