(keitai-l) Re: Tiny fonts

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 03/12/01
Actually, provided you have halfway decent
upper/lowercase character images (mainly:
enough ascender/descender distinction), it's not
even the shape of the *characters* so much
as the shape of the *words* that really matters
for general legibility.  This was pointed out
as early as 1988 in the OCR world by Jonathan
Hull [1].  The general idea was certainly understood
long before that.  Intelligent anti-aliasing of the
character images could get you even further.

With a good magnifying-glass interface, you
could probably do 80-character vt100 emulation
on a phone that would actually be useful, in
a pinch.  The only question at this point is:
who would implement a fully-compliant telnet
midlet who isn't already busy biting the heads
off of live chickens in some more lucrative
capacity?

-m
leap@gol.com

[1] www.cedar.buffalo.edu/Publications/abstracts.html#hull