(keitai-l) Re: Handset technology

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 03/15/01
Renfield Kuroda wrote:

> Victor Pikula wrote:
> I agree -- the cozy relationship between operators and manufacturers means
> time-to-market for advanced handset features like color screens is shortened
> considerably.

Until recently Japanese manufacturers produced 100% of the world's
liquid crystal displays. Last time I looked Japanese manufacturers
had 80% and Korean manufacturers had 20%, while Europe and US had
exactly 0%.
Recently that has changed a bit as a function of the Korean financial crisis,
and a bit more openness on the Japanese side.

That is not a coincidence but a result of MITI (now METI) coordinated
industrial policy. They decided a long time ago that liquid crystal displays
are a key technology for Japan.

You'll find similar situations in some other key component areas.

It's a fact, that Europe has placed pretty low priority on electronics
for
the last 30-50 years, that is improving recently however.

Gerhard Fasol
http://www.eurotechnology.com/