(keitai-l) Re: Microsoft and the JavaPhone? [BIZBUZ]

From: Hubert Hung-Hsien Chang <hubert_at_4w1h.com>
Date: 03/18/01
On Sun, 18 Mar 2001, Michael Turner wrote:

> More recently, I retracted this speculation,
> albeit hesitantly.  Microsoft isn't so interested
> in JavaPhones, it seems, and might not get
> involved until it's too late.  And there *is* such
> a thing as too late, even for Microsoft.  Just
> look at the Palm OS vs. WinCE.

They have .Net initiative and #C and they probably don't
need Java anymore. At least that is probably the strategy
I can tell . Also, They have 'Stinger' in place and
you can program in the usual Win32 API for it. ( with some
of the API not applicable.) And I head they are going
to write for Palm application since they are a software farm.
it should not be hard. But Palm app's pricing is usually
higher in average so I don't know what they are up to exactly.
Maybe make it more portable to the desktop verison.

> Now, however, I've gotten to wondering again, and
> here's why: iMode's North American debut will be
> in Seattle.
>
> Seattle is home to Microsoft, of course, but also
> the former McCaw Cellular, which worked with
> Microsoft on the ill-fated Teledesic satellite phone
> venture, and which became "AT&T Wireless Services".
> This has created a hotbed of wireless-net initiatives
> that are now treading water, waiting for the wave:
>
> http://www.unstrung.com/server/display.php3?id=468&cat_id=3

Microsoft does have a project with NTT DoCoMo. I forgot
the name of it. But it is known. Well, wait, if they
choose Austin, Texas, you will say DELL. If they choose
Boston, you will say  Boston high tech area + MIt + Harvard,
if they choose New York City, you will say Silicon Alley,
if they choose San Diego, you will say it is a show down
to Qualcomm, if they choose LA, you will say cling to the
entertainment, if they choose mid-west nowhere land,
you will say it is safe to test in some unknown and less
popular area so when it fails, it is fine. And if they
choose moon, you will say it is an innovation break through.
.... Hard to choose a place I guess. :)
So choose home? :)

> http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,35261,00.html
>
> Now, though, here's NTT coming to *Microsoft's*
> home town.  Ballmer, Gates et al. now *really* have
> to sit up and take notice of JavaPhone potential.

Microsoft has been good at is to adopt the trend.(though it takes time for
them but do notise their speed is catching up. Win 1.0 takes a LONG time
but Win95 to Win2000 and Window .XP it is getting shorter and shorter.)
From their Window system(Mac), Internet initiative ( Netscape), Java
licencing, and now .Net( XML+ SOAP + software vs service ...etc)

> And in DoCoMo, Microsoft may find a likeminded view
> of Java: that it's just a popular language, not a whole
> platform.  After all, Java as implemented on iMode
> phones doesn't answer to Sun's MIDP platform definition,
> nor really to  anyone else's - it's just convenient
> that Sun defined something that could be adapted
> to DoCoMo purposes.

From article(I think it is an online posting )
 I read, NTT DoCoMo has their own spec on the GUI and some other
io+connection because they are early in the schedule so they develop their
own. MIDP is not licensing enforced in the architecture diagram of J2ME.
Also note, NTt DoCoMo has not released the English spec yet.I don't know
what that means. ( with speculation, yes, but don't know yet.)

>Will iMode be big in the U.S.?

Yes, yes, yes, yes, please :)

>The billion-dollar
> question.  If it has to fail in the U.S.,

Arhhhh!!! don't say that, you are scaring me.

> Note that NTT *didn't* choose Silicon Valley,
> home to Sun Microsystems.

Choose the techie town? I don't think so. :)
( well, no looking down here, I AM a techie (among other things))

Hubert