(keitai-l) Re: Microsoft and the JavaPhone? [BIZBUZ]

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 03/19/01
On Sun, 18 Mar 2001, I wrote:

> > More recently, I retracted this speculation,
> > albeit hesitantly.  Microsoft isn't so interested
> > in JavaPhones....

And Hubert responded, in part:
> ....Also, They [Microsoft] have 'Stinger' in place and
> you can program in the usual Win32 API for it. ( with some
> of the API not applicable.)....

I.e., WinCE, which hasn't really played.  Though it might,
in a phone.  For all we know, telephony has been what
WinCE has been missing all along.  And WinCE would be
running native code, a performance advantage over all but
the most sophisticated (and unlikely) JavaPhone implementations.
This would definitly give WinCE the edge in games software.

More likely, Stinger will just get a tacked-on a DoCoMo
KVM-oid implementation, hacked as need be for the U.S.
market.  This is assuming, of course, that there will be
any net-deliverable killer apps in Java to make this worth
doing.  Opinions?

-m
leap@gol.com