(keitai-l) Re: i-mode basic questions

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 03/20/01
Laura McGurdy wrote:

> Thanks Gerhard - but I actually looked through the excellent i-mode faq this
> morning (it was my very first port of call!) and I couldn't find any exact
> reference for this.
>
> It is a real idiot's question but as I am based in the UK and have no access
> to i-mode, I am really working blindly!
>
> What I am trying to find out is what a user has to do in order to subscribe
> to a service.
>
> Suppose I wanted to download a Mickey Mouse screensaver and I could only do
> so if I subscribed to the Disney i-mode site. How do I subscribe? Do I visit
> the Disney i-mode site and fill in an online form, submitting my billing
> details, phone number, email address? Or if the Disney site is an official
> i-mode site and can be accessed from the i-mode portal, does it already know
> my billing details, phone number etc? Are there any particluar issues with
> subscribing to an unofficial i-mode site?

Disney is an official site, so you subscribe by entering a 4-digit
"secret" number. The Disney site owners do not know any personal
data about the subscriber, but DoCoMo does. Normally DoCoMo is not allowed
to pass these subscriber data on to the data provider - they only do that
in case the subscriber does not pay the bill, i.e. DoCoMo passes the
credit risk on.

You'll find some more information about cash flows and business models
in the imode-report:
http://www.mightywords.com/browse/details_bc05.jsp?sku=MWFYCZ

Gerhard
http://www.eurotechnology.com/