(keitai-l) Format of tel: URLs for i-mode

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 03/23/01
The proposed standard format for tel: URLs includes provision for a
whole lot of options that I don't believe i-mode handsets actually
support.  I wonder if people can tell me which parts are and aren't
supported, out of the following?

* Local numbers - I know these are supported
* DTMF digits (*#abcd), pause (p), and wait-for-dial-tone (w) in local
  numbers
* Global numbers (beginning with + and country code) - this is very
  important for me to know
* Post-dial section for global numbers (;postd=)
* ISDN sub-address (;isub=) - I very much doubt this

(Aside: there seems to be an error in this proposal - '#' is reserved
as a separator between URLs and fragment IDs, and would have to be
escaped.)

Do newer i-mode handsets support any more than older ones?

If global numbers aren't supported yet, is there any plan to support
them in the version of i-mode that will be available in Europe, where
international dialling and roaming are not unusual?

Are tel: URLs always limited to 24 characters, as DoCoMo says, or do
some handsets support more?

Just as an example, if MCI WorldCom creates an i-mode site for its
calling card users in the US, "my" page should have a link to
<tel:+18882715734;postd=p1p71983?????> (with some more digits in
place of those question marks).  Is that likely to work any time
soon?  Perhaps that's a question for the WAP Forum.

Ben.