(keitai-l) Japanese Net penetration

From: Daniel Helmer <daniel_helmer_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 03/30/01
Folks,

I have read somewhere that net penetration (fixed-line) in Japan was about
15% when i-mode was released in Feb 1999. According to Japan Inc (Feb 2001),
its now 30.6%. Is that figure fixed-line and mobile net penetration put
together?

I had an argument with an obnoxious sales rep from Nokia at a tradeshow here
in Sydney recently who argued that mobile Internet is a success in Japan
only because fixed-line penetration is sooooo low.

I basically want some stats to back up my opinion that in Japan, mobile net
access has not replaced growth in fixed line net penetration (but rather,
they both grow rapidly)

Anyone?

/Daniel Helmer
dhelmer@kpmg.com.au