(keitai-l) Re: CDMA 1x, CDMA 1xEV, WCDMA, GPRS

From: Gustaf Rosell <gustaf_at_xpedio.com>
Date: 03/31/01
At 06:52 2001-03-31, you wrote:

>Fun report to read:
>
>http://www.qualcomm.com/main/whitepapers/WirelessMobileData.pdf
>
>Quiet a few detail statistics.
>The report fromt he Qualcomm is interesting.
>
>It essentially says that buying qualcomm CDMA 200 is a good technology
>and it will save you money for carriers.
>
>I am surprise at the difference on page 7, 11.
>They have Cost/MB and for WCDMA it is $0.069 and CDMA 1xEV is 0.022
>(1/3 of the WCDMA). This is for carriers. Of course. Consumers
>are not going to get this.
>
>Also it quotes from the MSDW that in 2006, average users will have
>200MB/month that is around 6.7 MB /day. Plus, it also quote
>Eurotechology.com data.
>

>Any comment?

There is a huge difference in theoretical price and actual. Consider that
they may not fill more than 10% of all theoretical capacity. $0.69 per MB
would be quite expensive on the carrier level... At least if you want to
have video and mp3s.

In general I really like the CDMA path though. Too bad it didn't make it on
a wider scale, especially compared to the 3G release that most starts to
implement now (Release 99), which is not much about IP. A bit silly, since
most deployment anyhow will be delayed and well into the conciderably
better Release 4 and 5 (they changed the notions...).

But the Chinese TD-SCDMA is the absolutely most interesting if you look
only on technology. Fits GPRS very well also. I think the bandwidth costs
for TD-SCDMA is said to be about a tenth of that for WCDMA. Sure it's not a
global standard. But China is fairly large... They will also roam
internationally on the GPRS level (when GPRS roaming starts to work
eventually).

/g

http://xped.io | gustaf_at_xpedio.com | t +46 8 674 50 47 | m +46 70 916 4747