(keitai-l) Re: docomo's new upgrade policy effective 4/1: can't upgrade to 503i series <10 months

From: Gary James <gary.james_at_lincmedia.co.jp>
Date: 04/02/01
I've been in Japan for over one and a half years now and in that time
have had no less than four keitais.  Each time I upgraded I cancelled my
old contract and started a new one and never had to pay any fees at all
(including when I had a 1-yen J-Phone for only 3 months).

Each time I used a different provider and so had to get a new phone
number, but that was a small inconvenience to save those "stupid" fees.

It is (or was) a totally different story in the UK.  Other providers
would actually encourage you to switch to them by allowing you to keep
your existing phone number and not charge you a penny.  The downside
though is that if you sign a contract you have to commit yourself to a
whole year.  I guess that's one reason why the phones are so archaic
over there!