(keitai-l) Re: tiled image viewer and file sizes

From: Paul Lester <paul.lester_at_lincmedia.co.jp>
Date: 04/06/01
Hmmm interesting.  I tried it out on an F503i and it worked ,but I
was missing most of the comic strip.
It just had the first frame and two halfs of 2 other cells

I was worried about the April bug causing problems, good work.

Anyway, I am getting to the file size worrying point in our project with sound files.
And it seems most (if not all of the imode phones) limit the file size
to about 10k for MFi sound files (from testing, I haven't bothered to look
at the specs).

********Is there any way around that file size restriction?**********

(I really haven't tried anything yet assuming its unchangeable)

(Its a direct HTTP link to the files, no IAPPLI or CHTML, but using them
is not entirely out of the question)

(JPhone and EZWeb have different limits on different phones, don't compare).

I'm asking (just to anyone out there) because I was so surprised to hear
that someone was able to get a 50k GIF to download.  And I would ask
the iappli guy here, but I'm at work early for once and no one else is in yet.

I heard that the scratchpad on most of the phones is smaller than that (like
10k or so).  Wow 50k cool!

If I could write an 80k or 100k  MFi file it would really sound COOL.  Thats why I'm asking.
I could do PRIDE, one of my favorite JPOP songs!

And yes I have lots of solutions on how to shrink down file sizes, and no I can't post
that information, so don't ask.

Henry Minsky wrote:

> To test out a theory,
> I wrote a hack which fetches the  Dilbert comic onto my server every day,
> converts it to tiled GIF image strips, and makes them available for an
> IAppli applet to fetch and view (with scrolling
> via the arrow keys).
>
> The applet to view the comic is downloadable at
>
> http://i.ua.com/imode/comic
>
> Even scaled down, the comic strip is pretty big (about 50 kbytes), and thus
> takes about a minute to load.
> i-Mode is way too slow. It's quicker to walk over and buy the newspaper from
> the newstand on the platform. Probably not much more expensive either,
> with what DoCoMo charges for packets.
>
> And yes, I know I am violating Scott Adams' copy rights. It's just a hack, ok?
>
> Henry

*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=
∬†♪∽∵:)  ∬†♪∽∵:)  ∬†♪∽∵:)  ∬†♪∽∵:)
♪ Paul Bryan Lester