(keitai-l) Re: tiled image viewer

From: Henry Minsky <hqm_at_ai.mit.edu>
Date: 04/07/01
At 03:27 PM 4/6/01 +0900, you wrote:

>Henry Minsky writes:
> > To test out a theory,
> > I wrote a hack which fetches the  Dilbert comic onto my server every day,
>
>What was your theory?

Just wanted to see if I could get the phone to download and display large
images as tiles with the appearance of a single image. I am using a cron
job on the server, and ImageMagick, to fetch,rotate and dice up the gifs
automatically
every night.

> > i-Mode is way too slow. It's quicker to walk over and buy the newspaper
>from
> > the newstand on the platform. Probably not much more expensive either,
> > with what DoCoMo charges for packets.
>
>Using an iAppli to download a GIF seems to be missing the point - especially
>for a comic strip, where much of the impact is only available when you can
>take
>in a whole frame at once.  I mean, except in the arguable case of nude
>photos
>of supermodels, who'd want to scroll around in a keitai-hosted GIF anyway?

Actually, when the comic is rotated 90 degrees and squashed down to about
80 pixels high,
it actually reads pretty well. You get a whole legible frame on the screen,
and can
scroll the three panels with a couple clicks of the down arrow key.

>The real killer iAppli is to use Java on phones to host a more
>calligraphics,
>vector-graphic style of comic art rendering - perfect for the
>nearly-schematic
>austerity of Scott Adams' pen.  If you doubt this, sign up for my one-time-
>only offer of a set of 15 green plastic charting templates that anyone can
>use to draw a Dilbert strip every bit as well as Scott.  $29.95, with a 15%
>discount for members of the DNRC.
>
>If you REALLY want to hack, do some kind of off-line curve-extraction
>picture processing on the GIFs, then send the iAppli a series of curve-
>rendering commands.  Even at 9600 baud, I bet you could get it to under
>10 seconds per frame.  You might even be able to do it in compliance
>with some of the more advanced standards for FAX transmission.  In
>any case, I expect that packet charges would be much reduced.

Actually, that's kind of what I wrote the fixed point math library for. I
am working
on a project to display maps as part of campus information system, and we
wanted
to make something to display vector shapes efficiently. Sort of a mini
Postscript language. But I didn't think of using
it to render comics!