(keitai-l) Re: how popular are i-applis?

From: Jani PATOKALLIO <jpatokal_at_iki.fi>
Date: 04/09/01
rolf van widenfelt wrote:
> the article below seems to criticize java on i-mode.

And seems to be remarkably clueless on most counts, especially this
little gem of a paragraph:

# Japan's NTT DoCoMo (news - web sites) Inc. (9437.T) in January
# launched Java support for its runaway hit, the i-mode phones that
# have some 20 million users, although it is not clear how much it has
# caught on. Java is also compatible with
# another newer generation standard, WAP.

Err, yeah.  And:

# `What will really matter is the implementations. Can they put in the
# hardware to make it work fast?'' said Frank Gillet, an analyst at
# industry research group Forrester.

On my personal list of important criteria, "fast implementation of Java"
comes in somewhere below "available in trendy pastel colors" and
"dancing tamagotchi included", but what do I know...

> anyone here have a sense for how successful i-applis are?
> i know it has only been out for a few months and that most people's phones
> don't support it yet, but any sense of an early trend?

Well, if I extracted my figures correctly (www.cit-online.com),
Docomo sold 300,000 i-appli handsets in March 2001 alone despite their
ludicrous pricetag of almost Y30,000.  In a year they'll be Y3000
and there will be 10 million people with i-appli phones...

Cheers,
--
Jani PATOKALLIO / jpatokal@iki.fi / +81 90 7722 3557
Sanpo Laboratory, Mechano-Informatics Dept., University of Tokyo