(keitai-l) Re: FOMA rollout specifics?

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_morganstanley.com>
Date: 04/10/01
Can't confirm w/checkable sources, but I'm fairly sure:

* The first rollout of Foma phones will NOT work outside of Tokyo
proper, will not be dual band, and will not be that much different than
existing i-mode phones. Think "faster i-mode".
* Fujitsu and NEC will roll handsets first I believe.
* Second rollout of Foma handsets targeted for late summer will include
more multimedia capabilities, wider usage area.

r e n

Jani PATOKALLIO wrote:

> Call me clueless, but has Docomo actually released any specifics on
> the upcoming FOMA (W-CDMA) rollout yet: when exactly will phones be
> available, what models are coming out and how much will they cost,
> how much will usage cost, etc?  Will the phones be dual-band or
> FOMA only?  The FOMA website seems to be remarkably content-free.
>
> Any hints would be much appreciated, as I'll be buying a new phone
> soon, and while I lust after 3G it would be a distinct bonus if
> the phone also worked in the primordial depths of Shikoku...
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Jani PATOKALLIO / jpatokal@iki.fi / +81 90 7722 3557
> Sanpo Laboratory, Mechano-Informatics Dept., University of Tokyo
> ヤニ・パトカリオ / jani@sanpo.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp / 090 7722 3557
> 東京大学、工学系研究科、機械情報工学科、算法設計研究室

ascii:	r	e	n	f	i	e	l	d
octal:	\162	\145	\156	\146	\151	\145	\154	\144
hex:	\x72	\x65	\x6e	\x66	\x69	\x65	\x6c 	\x64

e-business technologies | engineering and strategy

"Connecting people, ideas and capital,
we will be the world's first choice
for achieving financial aspirations"