(keitai-l) Re: FOMA rollout specifics?

From: Gustaf Rosell <gustaf_at_xpedio.com>
Date: 04/10/01
At 01:12 2001-04-10, you wrote:
>Can't confirm w/checkable sources, but I'm fairly sure:
>
>* The first rollout of Foma phones will NOT work outside of Tokyo
>proper, will not be dual band, and will not be that much different than
>existing i-mode phones. Think "faster i-mode".
>* Fujitsu and NEC will roll handsets first I believe.
>* Second rollout of Foma handsets targeted for late summer will include
>more multimedia capabilities, wider usage area.

Correct as far as I know. Rollout May 30 or 31 for these two. Rumors say
only at 64 kbit/s. Limited talk-time (but marvelous sound quality) and
quite bulky. The late summer phones are also only single w-cdma phones.
Costs are expected at something like 5 000 yen, I belive.

Don't buy a 3G phone just yet, except for test and bar flashing...

Manx Telecom has planned their rollout for May 28, I belive...

http://www.manx-telecom.com/mobile/umts/
http://www.worldsfirst3g.com/

/g

http://xped.io | gustaf_at_xpedio.ru | t +46 8 674 50 47 | m +46 70 916 4747