(keitai-l) Re: i-applis on PCs

From: JAPON.NET <web_at_japon.net>
Date: 04/11/01
on 01.4.11 5:37 PM, Harry Behrens at Harry@Behrens.com wrote:
> [mailto:keitai-l-bounce@appelsiini.net]On Behalf Of JAPON.NET >>> From Today's
AsiaBizTech:
>> A Japanese company develops software to run i-applis on PocketPCs
>> http://www.nikkeibp.asiabiztech.com/wcs/leaf?CID=onair/asabt/cover/127958
> this seems like a back-asswards way of doing things. Why would I want to run
> low-spec, low-rez i-applis on a machine that can bear much more?

There is quite a number of i-applis that regular people are hearing about
and would like to try, irrespective of owning a 503i. From Casio's point of
view, better do it with their machines !
Cannot speak for PocketPCs, but I welcome small apps that don't take over my
PC. Also, some of those i-applis are better marketed than regular
soft/applets.

>> Any idea how difficult would be to make them run on regular PCs/Macs? Or
>> perhaps some of the more technically inclined members of the list are
>> already working on it?
> All these guys are doing is what the emulator companies have been doing for
> a while now: reverse-engineer the com.docomo.* classes
> In fact their system is basically just an emulator.
> And yes, this is possible for any platform for which  the Java KVM is
> available (Palm, PocketPC, Linux, PC, Mac.. you name it).

Yes, i-Jade (thanks Hummel san) is an emulator. With something simpler /
more transparent to the regular user, at least like a plug-in, it would
likely catch-on among regular consumers.

Again, simple applets are not bad, I am amazed at how many people still play
solitaire or minesweeper on their PCs.

Vincent J. Luna, Director
--
JAPON.NET llc.: Making Your Company Visible in Japan
web_at_japon.net   http://www.japon.net/web/

EUNAVI.net Mobile Portal of Europe, for Japan
EUNAVI.net「手軽にヨーロッパ」
http://www.eunavi.net/ (i-mode, j-sky)

iMode Eye: Independent Source on Japan's mBiz
日本のモバイルシーンを海外に!
http://www.japon.net/imode/
--
Vice-Chairman, eCommerce Committee