(keitai-l) Re: Imode Competition

From: Andrea Hoffmann <ah_at_anima.de>
Date: 04/16/01
Virgil,

> What are the other competitors of Imode? I know that KDDI has Skyweb
right?

Nope, KDDI/AU offers a service called EZweb, which is based on WAP and
uses HDML. Then there is J-Phone, offering J-Sky, which is using MML (a
HTML derivate).

These are the major two competitors of i-mode in Japan.

> I not sure but the other competitors I heard have a respectable market
in
> their own rights although not as large as Imode.

According to the Telecommunications Carriers Association the subscriber
numbers are as follows:

i-mode: 21,695,000
EZweb: 6,716,000
J-Sky: 6,156,400

(03/2001)

For the technology, you can find a good overview about these three
services at MMJ:

Main Mobile Internet Services in Japan
http://www.mobilemediajapan.com/stories/storyReader$1432

Hope this helps,