(keitai-l) Re: regarding i-appli development outside japan

From: Oliver Wittchow <wittchow_at_nanoloop.de>
Date: 04/18/01
why am i developing i-applis overseas?

A-
i (maybe) want to distribute my i-applis in japan, but until they are
ready to ship i'd like to stay in germany. and even when my applications
are finished i might offer them for free (demo version, whatever) first
to find out if there is a market for my products. once there is enough
positive feedback i may apply for becoming a premium content provider
and move to japan.
doing things in this order seems natural to me and i don't see why i
should move to japan first - with nothing but some vague ideas.

B-
i also would like to have a programmable ketai here for testing what
applications make sense in general. it's not that much a question of
implementation: even if i had to entirely rewrite all my code once new
models arrive in europe, it would still be a great advance to have
experience in designing mobile applications - on a real device.

C-
for certain application types, an emulator doesn't take you very far
sice you can't carry it in your pocket and play around with it on the
go. i just can't design mobile applications on a fixed machine only.

finlally i'd like to add another reason to the list:

-D
academic interest. i'm simply fascinated by the idea of a programmable
phone and want to have one here - for research, for my personal
entertainment and to show off, no matter if i ever make profit with
i-applis.

i wonder why the (surely existing) cable/ir-upload solution is NOT
available for developers?
the only answer that comes to my mind is that this may also enable users
to DOWNLOAD (premium) i-applis from ketai to pc which of course cannot
be allowed.

or maybe japan has a lack of programmers like germany does and
docomo/government want to force developers to come to japan..

well, see you there soon.

oliver