(keitai-l) Re: regarding i-appli development outside japan

From: JAPON.NET <web_at_japon.net>
Date: 04/20/01
on 01.4.18 10:12 AM, JAPON.NET at web@japon.net wrote:
> Some thoughts on Overseas i-appli development, aka WHY am I developing
> i-Applis?
>
> Possible Goals that come to mind:
>
> A- To distribute them in the Japanese market:
> One should have some sort of presence in Japan ie. Consultant/Partner.
> Otherwise the development part will be the least of the issues to consider.

(...)

on 01.4.18 11:32 PM, Oliver Wittchow at wittchow@nanoloop.de wrote:
> why am i developing i-applis overseas?
> A-
> i (maybe) want to distribute my i-applis in japan, but until they are
> ready to ship i'd like to stay in germany. and even when my applications
> are finished i might offer them for free (demo version, whatever) first
> to find out if there is a market for my products. once there is enough
> positive feedback i may apply for becoming a premium content provider
> and move to japan.
> doing things in this order seems natural to me and i don't see why i
> should move to japan first - with nothing but some vague ideas.

(...)

Two other sample issues for companies:

While occasionally products outside Japan may be so great they are snapped
by the public/importers and become bestsellers, a sensible approach by a
*commercial company* interested in the Japanese mobile contents market could
be to find out:
-1- What is the market like? Who are my competitors? Are similar
applets/contents around?
-2- How am I going to get my content into the market? How am I going to
promote it so it is actually seen?
The first analysis will -among other critical stuff- go a long way into
shaping the contents/i-apppli before/while they are developed.
The second should give the content/applet a chance.

Vincent J. Luna, Director
--
JAPON.NET llc.: Making Your Company Visible in Japan
web_at_japon.net   http://www.japon.net/web/

iMode Eye: Independent Source on Japan's mBiz
http://www.japon.net/imode/