(keitai-l) Re: Garbage Collection with i-applo

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 04/25/01
Zev Blut writes:
> If you go to page 41 of the I-mode java development guide pdf, provided by
> NTT DoCoMo, you will see a list of memory issues to watch out for.
> Garbage collection is mentioned as function that is performed.

OK, so the question is whether/which phones are actually doing GC and
which are punting.  Easy enough to test, if you have the phones.

> .... Also, in a later release on the thread there is a mention of
disposing
> objects with the DoJa API.
>
> Even in the full Java package there are classes that you need to call
> dispose() on too... I would not attribute this to not having a
> garbage collector.

As I understand it, "dispose" is just a general clean-up/release notion,
so it doesn't even guarantee memory deallocation.  In fact, it could be
dangerous if it did.  JVMs that implement reference types with
machine-address pointers (most of them, I assume?) and no reference
counting (ditto?) would suddenly be capable of pointing into the
heap, with all the good fun that this implies.

Doesn't really settle the question, but it's interesting.

-m
leap@gol.com