(keitai-l) Re: FYI: 3G delay puts US in pole position?!

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 04/25/01
I wonder if there isn't also a financial rationale.  October is
a wonderful month for market crashes, and the debts of telecom
companies have already approached the galactic proportions
last seen in the U.S. only in the S&L crisis (but with bailouts far less
likely, more like "take the exit marked 'black hole' please").

Sure, DoCoMo lost 5 points today on this announcement, but it
might be a lot better off in the end with a really smooth,
triumphant, stock-price-plumping launch in October, when there
might be lots of U.S. telecom infrastructure available for pennies
on the dollar.  They'll need this, to ramp up stateside i-mode.

As for this delay being good for Sprint, et al., I think it's
more likely they'll announce their own delays soon.  A basic
law of systems development: if nobody can quote you a nonzero
probability of delivering early, there is almost a 100% chance
of that the system will be late.

-m
leap@gol.com