(keitai-l) Re: 2G networks - How congested?

From: Ian Morrison <ian_at_synapsx.com>
Date: 04/27/01

>Hello everyone,
>
>I'm searching for info on the level of congestion 2G networks in Japan may
be
>reaching/experiencing. Couldn't find a reference to this topic while
skimming through  the
>archives, although read something about an article by the Strategies Group,
where they indicate
>a 1% growth in the 2G networks, but that's as much as I found. Would
anybody like to
>comment/elaborate on this? Any reference to links on this topic?? Many
thanks,

>Antonella.

Suggestion is that it is this congestion that is forcing DoCoMo to adopt 3G,
rather than any deemed pent up demand for multimedia services etc.  Is this
true?  Also 1% would seem low given the noted increase in data AND voice
traffic that accompanies i-mode uptake.

On a related subject I found it quite ironic that Tokyo, the world of
ubiquitous sophisticated mobile communications, is still a world where
people wander about, twitching antennas manually extended for every call and
straining to understand each other over a limited audio bandwidth.  It may
be sacrilege for this list but in crisp GSM world antennas seem so passé, so
low tech and old fashioned!

Cheers,

Ian
Synapsx Pte Ltd

consultants and developers in wireless entertainment
"look mum - no strings"