(keitai-l) Re: 2G networks - How congested?

From: Jani PATOKALLIO <jpatokal_at_iki.fi>
Date: 04/30/01
Ian Morrison wrote:
> On a related subject I found it quite ironic that Tokyo, the world of
> ubiquitous sophisticated mobile communications, is still a world where
> people wander about, twitching antennas manually extended for every call
> and straining to understand each other over a limited audio bandwidth.
> It may be sacrilege for this list but in crisp GSM world antennas seem
> so passé, so low tech and old fashioned!

Back in the bad old days when I worked for a Major European Mobile
Company in Tokyo, I was told that the antennas aren't really necessary,
it's just that customer surveys have consistently indicated that people
insist on phones with antennas!  All the phones have to pass an extensive
battery of tests with the antenna 'closed', and extending the antenna
doesn't make all that much of a difference (read: your call will probably
get dropped anyway).

Cheers,
--
Jani Patokallio (jpatokal@iki.fi) / HCI Lab, University of Tokyo
[$BA2(B] I got the double ox wingless dragon archetype tonight