(keitai-l) Re: 2G networks - How congested?

From: <antonella.esteves_at_ftnetwork.com>
Date: 04/30/01
Ian wrote:

Suggestion is that it is this congestion that is forcing DoCoMo to adopt 3G,
rather than any deemed pent up demand for multimedia services etc.  Is this
true?  Also 1% would seem low given the noted increase in data AND voice
traffic that accompanies i-mode uptake.

On the suggestion bit, I think what you're saying is true. I would like to have more on this though. Could people also comment on if they get disconnected or feel compelled to because there's a sensible/noticeable QoS degradation of the services at peak hours, for example. Other opinions and any related info on the state of congestion of Japanese networks would be appreciated.

the 1% bit was on a monthly basis and didn't include the i-mode effect, as I read it.

Thanks,
Antonella.